Instead of buying succulent mix or potting soil for your aloe vera, make your own succulent soil which is not only cheaper than buying commercial stuff, but it’s super easy too. Do you want to know how? If yes, keep on scrolling!
Best Soil For Succulents:
Choosing the right potting soil mix for your aloe vera is crucial. However, overwatering is one of the most common causes of death for succulent plants and this is why we need to make sure you use the right type of soil to plant succulents.
Well-draining potting mix is the best potting soil for all types of succulents. Using good potting soil is important to prevent the problem of overwatering and to encourage its growth.
Benefits Of Making Our Own DIY Potting Soil:
- Making your own DIY potting soil helps you control the ingredients you use. The mix is cheaper than buying pre-made commercial succulent soil.
- In addition, as you control the ingredients you can modify the succulent soil to get the perfect soil mix that your succulents love.
How To Make DIY aloe vera Potting Soil Mix:
All the ingredients you need for making potting soil mix can find at any garden center or home improvement store that has potting soil for sale.
- Potting Soil
- Perlite Or Pumice
- Coarse Sand
All-Purpose Potting Soil:
- All-purpose potting soil for indoor plants works as a base to make your own succulent soil. Use whatever you have in your hand and never use heavy garden soil or potting mixes that contain a high amount of vermiculite or any type of moisture control mix that retains water.
Perlite Or Pumice:
- Perlite is a lightweight organic soil amendment that retains moisture, prevents soil compaction, and helps to add better drainage for all succulents.
- Along with succulent potting mix ingredients, you’ll need other few ingredients that help you measure and mix ingredients.
Get a measuring container, trowel, and a container for mixing.
Recipe Of DIY aloe vera Potting soil:
Dump all ingredients in a container and stir it all together. Use a trowel to mix the ingredients and make sure all ingredients are evenly mixed once you’re done.
If you have mixed a big batch of potting mix, store the leftover for later. You can store it on a shelf in your basement or garage.
You can mix a bunch of homemade potting soil ahead and store it later for use or just mix it as you need.
Make sure to store it in an air-tight container so that there is no need to worry about pesky bugs.
This DIY aloe vera potting soil can also be used for propagating succulent cuttings too.